A deep dive for the ambitious.
Grow a tour business that profits with a purpose is an in-depth course that combines sustainable tourism standards and practices with the principles of creating shared value and purpose-led business. Regardless of your starting point, this course will help become a leader in sustainable tourism that does well by doing good.
This course is right for you if you want to:
- become one of the leaders in sustainable tourism
- turn your tour business into a commercially successful force for good
- learn how to make money and make a meaning in the same time
- apply sustainable tourism principles in a foolproof way
- create a business that your employees, partners, travellers and locals love
- gain customers' and media's attention by communicating your purpose right
Define your brand's purpose and turn it into profit
Every business has a potential to make a positive impact. Leverage on your strengths and find your unique way of creating both financial and social value.
Elevate your business with proven sustainability practices.
Find out what's expected from a sustainable tourism business and implement the best, yet simple, sustainability practices for operations and marketing.
Turn your customers into your greatest fans
Learn how to communicate your purpose and sustainability efforts to win new customers, increase their loyalty and spending value. Create a brand that empowers and inspires.
Build a leaner, greener and risk-free supply chain
Your business is as strong as your weakest link. Learn how to choose and work with suppliers to minimise potential risks and maximise opportunities for growth.
Lead initiatives that benefit local communities
Create products and projects that support good causes and help spread tourist money among people and organisations outside overcrowded tourist centres.
Minimise your negative environmental impacts
Get to know practical ways to manage and minimise your waste and carbon footprint. Greener your operations and find ways to support wildlife and nature conservation.
Purpose + Profit + Practicality
This Program is a result of my 10 years experience in sustainability and tour operations. To create this course, I squeezed all the necessary sustainable tourism fundamentals and translated them into a language that you (or any tour business owner) would understand. I backed it up with tons and tons of real-life examples, case studies and practical solutions to help your business become a commercially successful force for good.
This is a no bla-bla sustainability fluff! It’s over 8 weeks of applicable learning and doing, designed specifically for incoming tour operators and activity providers.
Over the eight weeks you will learn a wider concept of a purpose-driven business, creating shared value and sustainable development principles, all in the tourism context.
You will gain a clarity of what positive impact your tour business can create, and how to connect your purpose with profit. You will learn how to make your big vision a core of your company’s values and culture.
By the end of the course, you will have in place the strategy, the action plan and all the necessary know-how that any responsible tour business is expected to have. You will also know how to develop win-win relationships with your stakeholders and how to win the hearts of your customers. Finally, you will know how to measure your success and have a clear plan how to scale your business, to make more money, and more positive impact in sustainable way.
How does the program work?
This is an 8-week expert coaching program. Unlike other courses, you won't have access to all materials at once but we will go through the content together in a period of 2 months. The program starts on the 8th of January 2020 and finishes on the 26th of February 2020 (live sessions + Bonus Workshop). Over the course of 8 weeks, we'll meet on video chat 6PM GMT every Wednesday to go through the main course materials and answer your questions. Each course is a combination of teaching, answering your questions, and looking for sustainable solutions together. All sessions will be recorded and available online if you are unable to attend.
What you'll learn
Introductory session: Let's get started!
Learn to get the most of the Sustainable Tour Business Program. Plan your tasks and time available each week using all the resources.
- How is the course structured?
- How to best plan your time and tasks for maximum results?
- How to get the most of the community and peer to peer learning?
Week 1: What does Running a Sustainable Tour Business Mean in Practice?
- This week we’ll look at the basics of responsible tourism. You’ll learn the basic concepts and theories but also the practical aspects of running a sustainable travel business.
- What is sustainable tourism and what are the tourism impacts?
- Why care? Business case for sustainable tourism
- What a sustainable tour business means in practice?
- How sustainable is your tour business and what areas you need to work on?
- What is your Business’ Purpose beyond Profit?
Week 2: How to Make your Office and Internal Operations Greener and Better?
You can’t talk to your customers and suppliers about responsible tourism if your business isn’t responsible from the inside. You’ll learn how to manage your operations in a socially-conscious and environmentally-friendly manner.
- How to measure and minimise your carbon footprint, energy and water consumption?
- How to go plastic and paper-free?
- How to engage employees in sustainability initiatives?
- How to greener your team events?
Week 3: How to Build a Sustainable Supply Chain?
Your business is only as strong as its weakest link. This week you’ll learn how to find like-minded partners and build a supply chain that makes your business stronger from within.
- What is a Sustainable Supply Chain?
- How to select sustainable suppliers (transport, accommodation, restaurants, etc.)?
- How to manage and minimise potential risks?
- How to engage suppliers in your sustainability efforts?
Week 5: How to Market Sustainability to Gain Competitive Advantage?
Now that you’ve improved your business internally and your made your experiences truly responsible - it’s time to market them. You will learn how to talk about sustainability to drive sales, customer reviews and stand out from the competition.
- (Sustainable) travel trends. What do your customers really want?
- How to use sustainability to win sales?
- How to use sustainability to increase customer loyalty and spending?
- Where and when to talk about sustainability, so that people will listen?
Week 4: How to Design Sustainable Experiences?
This is probably one of the most important weeks of all! Experiences lie at the core of your business. It’s time for you to learn how to design tours and activities that not only your customers will love but that will benefit the local community.
- What are sustainable tours and activities in practice?
- Where to go? Selecting attractions and places to visit smart
- What to do? Planning unforgettable activities that benefit communities
- How to go? Greening your transportation
Week 6: How to Engage Travellers in your Sustainability Efforts?
Without a critical mass of travelers making the right choices, tourism will never be truly sustainable. You’ll learn how to inspire your customers to travel better and engage them in your sustainability efforts. And I can already reveal your secret weapon - your guides and tour leaders play a key role in getting travelers on board!
- Why guides and tour leaders play a central role in executing your sustainability plans?
- How to turn guides and tour leaders into sustainability ambassadors?
- How to encourage customers to travel more responsibly?
- What to communicate to customers before, during and after a tour?
Week 7: How to Engage with a Local Community to Create a Lasting Impact?
The future of tourism depends on thriving and happy communities. This week you’ll learn how to help locals benefit from your tourism activity and share your success with people and communities that normally don’t have access to tourist money. And by doing this, you’ll make locals best promoters of your brand!
- How to create business-community relations based on mutual respect?
- How to monitor and maximise economic benefits of tourism in your destination?
- How to create lasting social change by supporting local issues and initiatives?
- How to be a leader and advocate of responsible travel locally?
Week 8: How to Manage Sustainability for a Long-Lasting Success?
Now that we’ve learned all different aspects of sustainability operations and marketing, it’s time to design your sustainability strategy and action plan. You’ll also learn how to measure and report on your impacts to stakeholders.
- How to make sustainability part of your company’s culture?
- How to create and execute a sustainability management plan?
- How to measure tourism impacts?
- How to report on sustainability performance and impacts?
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the Program start and finish?
The next cycle of the program starts on the 8th of January 2020 and finishes on the 26th of February 2020. We’ll be meeting for live webinars every Wednesday at 6 PM GMT.
Who is this Course BEST for?
This program is designed for the owners and managers of inbound and outbound tour operators and activity providers, regardless of their size, location and business maturity. You may or may not have previous experience in sustainable tourism. If you’re a guide working for some else’s company, an outbound tour operator or a travel agent, you will still learn a lot but some sections might not be relevant for you.
Who is this Course NOT for?
If you don’t believe in climate change or your life purpose is to earn money by any means - this program is not for you. Although we will talk about the business case for sustainability and how to make the most of it, I won’t be trying to convince you that running a sustainable travel business is the way to go. Join the course if you already know it but don’t know where to start.
How much time do I need to invest?
You’ll need at least 60 min per week to attend the live video chat, or to watch the video recap. There will also be some homework that could take up to 1-2 hours some weeks. I recommend you not to skip any videos or homework, but don’t panic if you won’t be able to make on time once or twice. We’ll have a recap at the end of the course to make sure you’ve learned all the important lessons.
We estimate an average of 20 hours for you to go through the program and complete the necessary requirements, but it can take more if you really want to turn your business into a truly sustainable one.
What if I'm not available for the live chats?
You'll get video replays of any session, I'll also be offering office hours. Office hours are 1hr chunks of time that will allow us to connect and answer any questions you have. These times will be variable based on the location of attendees. If you're not in Europe or Africa, I will do my best to allow for office hours that work with your timezone.
Are there any discounts for groups?
Yes, We have special offers for groups, tourism associations and universities. Get in touch to find out more.
Is there a refund policy?
All individual purchases are backed up with our 14-day, no questions asked, Money-Back Guarantee. Try out the program for 14 days and if you aren't happy, we will refund 100% of your money.
How long will I have access to the course's materials?
It's for a lifetime! After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own. In addition, you'll receive all upgrades, additions and improvements to the program over time!